I should have known better, but then I was a bit of a novice.
I’d been working with the National Trust at Stowe since the middle of the previous year trying to see whether we could set a few geocaches on their land. During that time we’d got to the point of seeming mutually interested, but then their marketing lady left and they went into a rather busy period while they moved their operations round into the recently renovated home on the south side of the estate, and as a result it all went a bit quiet.
I contacted them again at around Christmas time, hoping that things had moved on, and indeed they had moved on, to the extent that they were ready to talk to me about some locations.
My initial plan was to place caches through the inner landscape gardens. There are a lot of different tree species in the gardens and I thought it would make a good theme for the series to use different tree types. It was quite easy to get up to 16 different types of tree, and it was easy to get a good geographic spead throughout the gardens.
In the event, though, that wasn’t to be. I set out an excellent (well, I thought it was excellent) set of caches in the gardens and prepped all the pages, but when I released them the reviewers bounced them on the basis that the gardens are pay-to-enter, and that’s not allowed under current rules, even if it’s for a charitable organization. So I had to go back and collect them all up again and think of another plan.
It’s a shame. I always personally thought that a series inside the gardens was a much better idea than the ones I eventually ended up setting, but the rules is the rules, so I had to put up with it. The funny thing is that if I’d tried listing them on an alternate listings site they would have been fine, but on geocaching.com they weren’t. ‘Nuff said.
Anyway, while I was attempting to place the caches I took some decent photos of some of the trees I was attempting to use as hosts.