I had a slot to fill in The Matrix and managed to persuade Ami to come out with me for a bit (well, technically, it was bribery rather than persuasion, but it’s a fine line with an 8 year old). I gave her the choice of either a bit of biking, or a walk round a town, or a few simple drive-bys. she picked the middle one.
So once the bribe had been paid (at Macky D’s) we were off to Ampthill on the promise of a handful of caches to fill up a lazy Saturday afternoon.
We parked in the car park of a well known posh supermarket chain (well, the sign said it was free) and began our walk. It was quite an unremarkable afternoon, but the caches we had a go at were :
- Brewery Lane Ampthill Circular – ‘off yer trolley’ was a DNF. Not a good start.
- The Alameda – Ampthill Circular appears to be named after a curry house, but the cache was more of a Korma than a Phall.
- Kings Arms Path – Ampthill Circular took ages to find the right path, but once we got there the cache was quite simple.
- Church Micro 1812 – Ampthill Circular was a lovely little church, and a funny little cache.
- Holly Walk – Ampthill Circular was quite a nice location – off the beaten track, as it were, except for the woman with the dog, although she was more “walking along” the track than “beating” it.
- You’ve been warned was the easiest of all finds. Pulled up off the road behind a roadsign, and saw the cache from inside the car.
- Church Micro 1679…Houghton Conquest was one of “those” caches. We made a meal of finding the information. Couldn’t see it, then phoned a friend who hadn’t done it, then looked again and saw it. D’oh !
- The White Goddess (Houghton Conquest) was a distinctly bad end to the day. We got the informaiton easily enough but then got to GZ and spent the best part of 45 minutes mucking about, phoning people and getting cold, before eventually giving up and going home, It was dark. Ami was getting bored, and then I decided enough was enough. Not what I wanted when I’d told Ami we’d do “just one more”
But all in all, a decent afternoon I suppose. It was nice to spend an afternoon just with Ami.