A caching diary for 2010, my first year, so quite a short diary, but a diary nevertheless.
This post really just sets up the caching diaries from subsequent years, there’s no comparison of progress because there’s no history before 2010.
2010 yielded 273 total finds from a start point towards the end of May. It was my least busy year, but then the bug had yet to take hold.
Let’s start by posting some images and discussing a few potential targets.
This section just shows days of the year on which I’ve found caches. My matrix for 2010 looks like this.
End of Year Summary – Meh! I’ve done a few.
This one is all about filling in dates in the year when caches were placed rather than when I found them. My 2010 matrix looks like this.
End of Year Summary – Done a surprisingly large number
The matrix of months since caching started. Now this one is a bit tricky to complete because it requires finding some quite old caches. There aren’t so many of them around and it takes careful choice. However, as I discovered recently, if you go for older caches you tend to find bigger boxes and more spectacular locations, on average. My status at the end of 2010 was like this.
How did I manage to do so many different months?
Caches are rated 1-5 for difficulty and 1-5 for terrain, with half points awarded, so that makes a matrix of 9×9. This looks quite tricky to complete.
Here is the snapshot of my 2010 efforts.
End of Year Summary – 29 out of 81 seems OK for just 273 total finds.
UK and Ireland Counties
And finally the counties map.
I had absolutely no expectation of being able to finish this off as it requires traveling to the furthest extents of the UK to finish.
Here is my snapshot of this matrix at the end of 2010.
End of Year Summary – 10 counties completed. I didn’t get about very much.
Bizarrely, my first ever cache was in Morocco, but apart from that I didn’t gain any countries other than the UK, as I didn’t go anywhere else.
So what did I actually do on the caching front in 2010 then?
May (1 find)
June (21 finds)
- 11th June – we went went out in Tattenhoe to find some supposedly simple caches but found nowt (see Tattenhoe Trial)
- 13th June – we went around Furzton Lake and made our first ever UK finds (see Furzton Frenzy) – 5 finds
- 15th June – we scooted off around Tattenhoe and Westcroft on the bikes (see Cache & Dash) – 5 finds
- 20th June – we were up at my folks in Measham and they joined us in a quick scuttle around Donisthorpe (see Donisthorpe Donder) – 3 finds
- 21st June – I finally found an irritating one nearby in Tattenhoe (see Linear Luck) – 1 find
- 26th June – we grabbed a few caches up in Stony Stratford (see Stony Strut) – 7 finds
July (46 finds)
- 2nd July – we grabbed a couple of quickies near home (see Easy Emerson) – 2 finds
- 3rd July – we collected a couple at Willen Lake (see Willen Wander) – 2 finds
- 4th July – we found a couple in Shenley Wood (see Shenley Shuffle) – 2 finds
- 5th July – we returned to Shenley Wood for a couple more (see Shenley Shuffle Return) – 2 finds
- 6th July – I met Kas in Broughton for a quickie or two (see Brisk Broughton) – 2 finds
- 9th July – we popped out at lunchtime for one of the Mission Impossible series (see Mission Impossible) – 1 find
- 10th July – we had free childcare and wento the pub on our bikes (see Pub Pootle) – 5 finds
- 12th July – Kas picked up one in Bletchley (see Sweet Music) – 1 find
- 14th July – we popped out at lunchtime again for another Mission Impossible (see Mission Impossible) – 1 find
- 15th July – I biked over to Monkston in the evening (see Monkston Madness) – 6 finds
- 16th July – we made a return trip to Stony Stratford (see Friday Night Cache) – 4 finds
- 17th July – the girls and me grabbed a couple in Willen while Kas was running (see Dinosaur Roarrrrrrr) – 2 finds
- 18th July – we grabbed a couple on Willen North Lake – 2 finds
- 19th July – I went out at lunchtime to fetch one near work – 1 find
- 21st July – Kas grabbed one up in Calverton while out running – 1 find
- 23rd July – I grabbed one whilst out on a business trip then I did a few more at home in the evening (see Breakfast at Tibshelf) – 4 finds
- 25th July – we took our bikes and had a hack down the iBletchWin Trail series – 5 finds
- 28th July – we had a flash of inspiration (see iBletchWinspiration) – 3 finds
August (63 finds)
- 1st August – A few finds in Saint-Malo (see Swimming & St Malo) – 4 finds
- 4th August – A wander round France’s second most popular tourist attraction (see Mont St Michel) – 7 finds
- 6th August – A trip out to the lovely Pink Granite Coast of Brittany (see Pink Granite Coast) – 3 finds
- 7th August – An afternoon wander around the seaside town of Dinard (see Dinard Donder) – 7 finds
- 9th August – A drive back across France to see some embroidery and a famous beach (see Norman Conquests) – 3 finds
- 10th August – An afternoon gawping at canal locks followed by an evening dash into Dinard (see Hédé and Dinard)- 2 finds
- 11th August – A trip to the beach and a further attempt at parking in Dinard (see Cancale and Dinard)- 4 finds
- 12th August – A final trip into the centre of Saint Malo (see St Malo & Dinan)- 2 finds
- 15th August – A few close to home in Milton Keynes – 3 finds
- 18th August – Our first ever caching event (see Bordering on the Ridiculous #32) – 1 find
- 19th August – Two puzzles that had been bugging me (see Tattenhoe Tally-Ho !) – 2 finds
- 20th August – A quick dash out from work (see Fat Food Friday) – 3 finds
- 21st August – A single cache on a lunchtime dash – 1 find
- 22nd August – A walk in the woods with some added family (see Linford Wood) – 5 finds
- 23rd August – Shooting blind on a walk out from lunch with no GPS (see Wavendon Wander) – 2 finds
- 27th August – A single local cache – 1 find
- 29th August – A windy day in the North-East (see Windy Weekend) – 8 finds
- 30th August – More windy Geordies (see Windy Weekend) – 3 finds
- 31st August – And a couple more before driving down south again (see Windy Weekend) – 2 finds
September (32 finds)
- 2nd September – A random nearby puzzle cache GC28BVJ – Magiovinium, Home of the Codebreakers – 1 find
- 3rd September – We went up to the north of Milton Keynes for a few in the evening (see It’s Grim Up North) – 4 finds
- 5th September – I grabbed a couple while Ami was doing some plastic rock climbing (see Off the Wall) – 2 finds
- 7th September – I biked up to Wolverton to grab a few (see Wolverton) – 3 finds
- 9th September – a quick find from the Mission Impossible series (see Mission Impossible) – 1 find
- 10th September – We collected an awkward little Herbert we’d spent quite a while figuring out (GC284BV – Bletchley, Home of the Codebreakers) – 1 find
- 11th September – A weekend at my folks house (see Donisthorpe Again – 9 finds
- 12th September – A random couple on the way home from my folks’ house – 2 finds
- 14th September – One quick find on the way home after having failed to find something else – 1 find
- 15th September – A quick find at the services on the M6 Toll on my way up to Blackpool – 1 find
- 16th September – A couple of troublesome ones near home, including another of the Mission Impossible series – 2 finds
- 24th September – A couple of finds in the middle of Milton Keynes – 2 finds
- 25th September – A trip out on the bike (see Back on the Bike) – 3 finds
October (73 finds)
- 2nd October – I found a few whilst stalking Milton Keynes to plan a cache I eventually never set (see Casing the Joint) – 4 finds
- 3rd October – A Sunday afternoon jaunt up the north end (see Over the Fields) – 4 finds
- 9th October – A quick single find in Willen (GC15PWQ – UT TENSIO, SIC VIS) – 1 find
- 10th October – A handful of finds whilst planning one of my Schooldays series (see 10km Route Planning) – 4 finds
- 14th October – I had a cold so I took the afternoon off and went caching in the fresh air (see Going Wild in Woburn) – 18 finds
- 17th October – A quick dash up to Brickhill Woods – 4 finds
- 20th October – A BBH event cache and my 200th find, down in Edlesborough – 2 finds
- 22nd October – A handful around Caldecotte Lake while Kas took the kids up to her mum’s – 5 finds
- 23rd October – A bunch of finds near Tring whilst waiting for my folks to come and visit – 20 finds
- 25th October – A couple of quickies near home – 2 finds
- 26th October – Another trip to Blackpool and another cache at a service station (GC1HA8R – Motorway Mayhem M6 Keele Services Northbound) – 1 find
- 29th October – A walk in the newly planted woods near my folks house – 6 finds
- 30th October – A trip to Bradgate Park for a couple – 2 finds
November (16 finds)
- 7th November – A trip round some nearby redways – 3 finds
- 13th November – A trip round some other nearby redways – 4 finds
- 17th November – A drinking session in Manchester for a corporate jolly (GC1Y1XY – Manchester Sights – St John’s Gardens) – 1 find
- 18th November – Another random motorway service cache (GC2J0ND – M6 Keele Services Southbound) – 1 find
- 20th November – A muddy walk over the fields with Ami on a Sunday afternoon (GC1HKXY – Magiovinium) – 1 find
- 21st November – A quick dash up the north of Milton Keynes – 4 finds
- 27th November – Another quick dash, this time to Wolverton (GC1RFJH – On the way to the mill – Incy -Wincy)- 1 find
- 28th November – A random find in a Milton Keynes park (GC15KZT – Park Life (Ouzel Valley)) – 1 find
December (21 finds)
- 9th December – A quick find whilst setting a load of my own (GC2DAVQ – Gorrick’s Spring, Calverton.) (see MK Schooldays) – 1 find
- 13th December – A single find whilst repositioning one of the Schooldays caches (GC15TM0 – Gold, Silver or Bronze) – 1 find
- 15th December – A BBH event about which I remember very little (GC2J4CW – Bucks/Beds/Herts Border-ing on the Festive (#36)) – 1 find
- 16th December – A couple of Milton Keynes quickies – 2 finds
- 20th December – Some caching in Sunderland in the snow (see Gee! Snow Caching) – 3 finds
- 28th December – A birthday plod near my folks house – 12 finds
- 29th December – A final cache for the year (GC1R7ZT – LIVE) – 1 find