My first year of caching, so quite a short diary, but a diary nevertheless.
This post really just sets up the caching diaries from subsequent years, there’s no comparison of progress because there’s no history before 2010.
2010 yielded 273 total finds from a start point towards the end of May. It was my least busy year, but then the bug had yet to take hold.
Let’s start by posting some images and discussing a few potential targets.
This section just shows days of the year on which I’ve found caches. My matrix for 2010 looks like this.
End of Year Summary – Meh ! I’ve done a few.
This one is all about filling in dates in the year when caches were placed rather than when I found them. My 2010 matrix looks like this.
End of Year Summary – Done a surprisingly large number
The matrix of months since caching started. Now this one is a bit tricky to complete because it requires finding some quite old caches. There aren’t so many of them around and it takes careful choice. However, as I discovered recently, if you go for older caches you tend to find bigger boxes and more spectacular locations, on average. My status at the end of 2010 was like this.
How did I manage to do so many different months ?
Caches are rated 1-5 for difficulty and 1-5 for terrain, with half points awarded, so that makes a matrix of 9×9. This looks quite tricky to complete.
Here is the snapshot of my 2010 efforts.
End of Year Summary – 29 out of 81 seems OK for just 273 total finds.
UK and Ireland Counties
And finally the counties map.
I had absolutely no expectation of being able to finish this off as it requires traveling to the furthest extents of the UK to finish.
Here is my snapshot of this matrix at the end of 2010.
End of Year Summary – 10 counties completed. I didn’t get about very much.
Bizarrely, my first ever cache was in Morocco, but apart from that I didn’t gain any countries other than the UK, as I didn’t go anywhere else.
So what did I actually do on the caching front in 2010 then ?
May (1 find)
June (21 finds)
- On June 11th we went went out in Tattenhoe to find some supposedly simple caches but found nowt (see Tattenhoe Trials)
- On June 13th we went around Furzton Lake and made our first ever UK finds (see Furzton Frenzy) – 5 finds
- On June 15th we scooted off around Tattenhoe and Westcroft on the bikes (see Cache & Dash) – 5 finds
- On June 20th we were up at my folks in Measham and they joined us in a quick scuttle around Donisthorpe (see Donisthorpe Donder) – 3 finds
- On June 21st I finally found an irritating one nearby in Tattenhoe (see Linear Luck) – 1 find
- On June 26th we grabbed a few caches up in Stony Stratford (see Stony Strut) – 7 finds
July (46 finds)
- On July 2nd we grabbed a couple of quickies near home (see Easy Emerson) – 2 finds
- On July 3rd we collected a couple at Willen Lake (see Willen Wibble) – 2 finds
- On July 4th we found a couple in Shenley Wood (see Shenley Shuffle) – 2 finds
- On July 5th we returned to Shenley Wood for a couple more (see Shenley Shuffle 2) – 2 finds
- On July 6th I met Kas in Broughton for a quickie or two (see Brisk Broughton) – 2 finds
- On July 9th we popped out at lunchtime for one of the Mission Impossible series (see Mission Impossible) – 1 find
- On July 10th we had free childcare and wento the pub on our bikes (see Pre-Pub Pootle) – 5 finds
- On July 12th Kas picked up one in Bletchley (see Sweet Music) – 1 find
- On July 14th we popped out at lunchtime again for another Mission Impossible (see Mission Impossible) – 1 find
- On July 15th I biked over to Monkston in the evening (see Monkston Madness) – 6 finds
- On July 16th we made a return trip to Stony Stratford (see Friday Night Cache Fest) – 4 finds
- On July 17th the girls and me grabbed a couple in Willen while as was running (see Dinosaur Roarrrrrrr) – 2 finds
- On July 18th we grabbed a couple on Willen North Lake – 2 finds
- On July 19th I went out at lunchtime to fetch one near work – 1 find
- On July 21st Kas grabbed one up in Calverton while out running – 1 find
- On July 23rd I grabbed one whilst out on a business trip then I did a few more at home in the evening (see Breakfast at Tibshelf) – 4 finds
- On July 25th we took our bikes and had a hack down the iBletchWin Trail series – 5 finds
- On July 28th we had a flash of inspiration (see iBletchWinspiration) – 3 finds
August (63 finds)
- On August 1st – A few finds in Saint-Malo (see Swimming & St Malo) – 4 finds
- On August 4th – A wander round France’s second most popular tourist attraction (see Mont St Michel) – 7 finds
- On August 6th – A trip out to the lovely Pink Granite Coast of Brittany (see Pink Granite Coast) – 3 finds
- On August 7th – An afternoon wander around the seaside town of Dinard (see Dinard Donder) – 7 finds
- On August 9th – A drive back across France to see some embroidery and a famous beach (see Norman Conquests) – 3 finds
- On August 10th – An afternoon gawping at canal locks followed by an evening dash into Dinard (see Hédé and Dinard)- 2 finds
- On August 11th – A trip to the beach and a further attempt at parking in Dinard (see Cancale and Dinard)- 4 finds
- On August 12th – A final trip into the centre of Saint Malo (see St Malo & Dinan)- 2 finds
- On August 15th – A few close to home in Milton Keynes – 3 finds
- On August 18th – Our first ever caching event (see Bordering on the Ridiculous #32) – 1 find
- On August 19th – Two puzzles that had been bugging me (see Tattenhoe Tally-Ho !) – 2 finds
- On August 20th – A quick dash out from work (see Fat Food Friday) – 3 finds
- On August 21st – A single cache on a lunchtime dash – 1 find
- On August 22nd – A walk in the woods with some added family (see Linford Wood) – 5 finds
- On August 23rd – Shooting blind on a walk out from lunch with no GPS (see A Wavendon Wander) – 2 finds
- On August 27th – A single local cache – 1 find
- On August 29th – A windy day in the North-East (see A Windy Weekend) – 8 finds
- On August 30th – More windy Geordies (see A Windy Weekend) – 3 finds
- On August 31st – And a couple more before driving down south again (see A Windy Weekend) – 2 finds
September (32 finds)
- On September 2nd – A random nearby puzzle cache GC28BVJ – Magiovinium, Home of the Codebreakers – 1 find
- On September 3rd – We went up to the north of Milton Keynes for a few in the evening (see It’s Grim Up North) – 4 finds
- On September 5th – I grabbed a couple while Ami was doing some plastic rock climbing (see Off the Wall) – 2 finds
- On September 7th – I biked up to Wolverton to grab a few (see Wolverton ? Miles Away) – 3 finds
- On September 9th – a quick find from the Mission Impossible series (see Mission Impossible) – 1 find
- On September 10th – We collected an awkward little Herbert we’d spent quite a while figuring out (GC284BV – Bletchley, Home of the Codebreakers) – 1 find
- On September 11th – A weekend at my folks house (see Donisthorpe Donder 2 – 9 finds
- On September 12th – A random couple on the way home from my folks’ house – 2 finds
- On September 14th – One quick find on the way home after having failed to find something else – 1 find
- On September 15th – A quick find at the services on the M6 Toll on my way up to Blackpool – 1 find
- On September 16th – A couple of troublesome ones near home, including another of the Mission Impossible series – 2 finds
- On September 24th – A couple of finds in the middle of Milton Keynes – 2 finds
- On September 25th – A trip out on the bike (see Back on the Bike) – 3 finds
October (73 finds)
- On October 2nd – I found a few whilst stalking Milton Keynes to plan a cache I eventually never set (see Casing the Joint) – 4 finds
- On October 3rd – A Sunday afternoon jaunt up the north end (see Over the Fields and Far Away) – 4 finds
- On October 9th – A quick single find in Willen (GC15PWQ – UT TENSIO, SIC VIS) – 1 find
- On October 10th – A handful of finds whilst planning one of my Schooldays series (see 10km Route Planning) – 4 finds
- On October 14th – I had a cold so I took the afternoon off and went caching in the fresh air (see Going Wild in Woburn) – 18 finds
- On October 17th – A quick dash up to Brickhill Woods – 4 finds
- On October 20th – A BBH event cache and my 200th find, down in Edlesborough – 2 finds
- On October 22nd – A handful around Caldecotte Lake while Kas took the kids up to her mum’s – 5 finds
- On October 23rd – A bunch of finds near Tring whilst waiting for my folks to come and visit – 20 finds
- On October 25th – A couple of quickies near home – 2 finds
- On October 26th – Another trip to Blackpool and another cache at a service station (GC1HA8R – Motorway Mayhem M6 Keele Services Northbound) – 1 find
- On October 29th – A walk in the newly planted woods near my folks house – 6 finds
- On October 30th – A trip to Bradgate Park for a couple – 2 finds
November (16 finds)
- On November 7th – A trip round some nearby redways – 3 finds
- On November 13th – A trip round some other nearby redways – 4 finds
- On November 17th – A drinking session in Manchester for a corporate jolly (GC1Y1XY – Manchester Sights – St John’s Gardens) – 1 find
- On November 18th – Another random motorway service cache (GC2J0ND – M6 Keele Services Southbound) – 1 find
- On November 20th – A muddy walk over the fields with Ami on a Sunday afternoon (GC1HKXY – Magiovinium) – 1 find
- On November 21st – A quick dash up the north of Milton Keynes – 4 finds
- On November 27th – Another quick dash, this time to Wolverton (GC1RFJH – On the way to the mill – Incy -Wincy)- 1 find
- On November 28th – A random find in a Milton Keynes park (GC15KZT – Park Life (Ouzel Valley)) – 1 find
December (21 finds)
- On December 9th – A quick find whilst setting a load of my own (GC2DAVQ – Gorrick’s Spring, Calverton.) (see MK Schooldays) – 1 find
- On December 13th – A single find whilst repositioning one of the Schooldays caches (GC15TM0 – Gold, Silver or Bronze) – 1 find
- On December 15th – A BBH event about which I remember very little (GC2J4CW – Bucks/Beds/Herts Border-ing on the Festive (#36)) – 1 find
- On December 16th – A couple of Milton Keynes quickies – 2 finds
- On December 20th – Some caching in Sunderland in the snow (see Gee! Snow Caching) – 3 finds
- On December 28th – A birthday plod near my folks house – 12 finds
- On December 29th – A final cache for the year (GC1R7ZT – LIVE) – 1 find