Ye Olde Survey Monuments (GC45CC) was a travelling geocache that was owned by outforthehunt. The cache moved around the country and you could be looking for a specific survey monument, pillar, surface block, rivet or bolt. Groundspeak decided in 2017 or so that this type of cache was no longer welcome in the fold, so the cache was archived, which is a shame.
Finding a YOSM was little like trigpointing (see www.trigpointinguk.com) except you could only log ones where the owner of the cache had randomly moved the YOSM cache to it.
It was moved a couple of times each month though, which was many more than I was ever going to get around to finding, especially seeing as the chosen locations were literally at all ends of the country.
At the point when the geocache was archived, I had attempted the following Survey Monuments in the series :
- YSM006 Roedean Road in East Sussex
- YSM009 Buckland FBM in Oxfordshire
- YSM021 Marsden Bay in South Shields
- YSM037 Fleetwood in Lancashire
- YSM069 Dunstable Down in Bedfordshire
- YSM081 Badbury Hill in Oxfordshire
- YSM178 Clipper Down in Buckinghamshire
- YSM195 Parklands in Great Linford, Milton Keynes
- YSM239 Castle Mound in Totternhoe Bedfordshire
- YSM313 Shakespeare’s Cliff in Dover, Kent
- YSM349 Bill of Portland in Dorset – This one is no longer visible. Someone buried it beneath some tarmac
- YSM468 Robin Hill in Derbyshire
- YSM484 Silverstone in Northamptonshire
- YSM512 Raunds in Northamptonshire
- YSM514 Hatley Wilds in Cambridgeshire
- YSM537 Tushingham in Cheshire
- YSM549 Salcey Forest in Northamptonshire
- YSM593 Bow Brickhill in Milton Keynes
- YSM598 Snowdon Summit in Gwynedd
- YSM676 Beacon Hill in Buckinghamshire
When it was archived the random trig pillar was in Cornwall, and as a result most statistics sites show me having found a cache in Cornwall, even though I haven’t.